Sunday, July 6, 2014

Star Trek inspired THIS '80's rock group!

I am a big fan of the original Star Trek shows with Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and Dr. "Bones" McCoy from 1966-1969. I'm not a "Trekkie" to any extreme, but I have learned a lot about crisis management and strategy; most of all - keeping calm and analyzing a situation before doing something stupid first! :-) The other thing I am constantly fascinated by, are all of the gadgets Gene Roddenberry (show's creator) came up with, only to realize that folks today are taking them for granted. I think (outside NASA) Apple alone ran furthest with most of those ideas than any other brand during my lifetime.



Then I stumbled onto an episode (S02E07) called "Catspaw". Little did I know what I was in for; and so I quote the following dialogue:



SYLVIA: What do they know of sensations? This is a new world.
KOROB: You're cruel. You torture our specimens.
SYLVIA: And that, too, is a new sensation. I find it stimulating. 
KOROB: You're wrong! You're discarding everything we live by.
SYLVIA: I live by my own decisions. You're a weak fool, Korob.
KOROB: I have the power.
SYLVIA: But you're afraid to use it. Don't threaten me. I can squash you and that would be an interesting sensation, yes. I find I like these new sensations. Don't try to push me.
(The door opens and the group enters.) 

At this point, I'm all ears. I first think..."Wait, could it be? Nahhh". And then I hear the word "sensation" another 4 times.

Later on, the 500-pond gorilla walks into my room:

They go cautiously along the corridors, and a cat's snarl is heard. There on a wall is the shadow of a very large feline.)
SPOCK: Fascinating.
KIRK: Why a cat?
SPOCK: Racial memories. The cat is the most ruthless, most terrifying of animals, as far back as the sabre-toothed tiger.
KOROB: I think I can stop her.
KIRK: You'd better let us. (draws the phaser) It's out of energy. She must have drained it. We could have jumped Scott and Sulu at any time. We didn't know. No way out.
KOROB: It's my problem. She's one of my kind. Come quickly.
(The giant cat pads down the corridor as they retreat back into the dungeon.)

Did you see it? Did you make the connection?

In the first dialog, they brought up "new sensations". In the second, they specifically mention: "She's one of my kind."

Do I need to spell it out?

INXS!



Yes, the Australian '80's rock group INXS were (with very little doubt) inspired by Star Trek! It must have been playing late on TV one night back in 1987 in Australia, and they overheard it in the background while trying to think up the next big hit. The song went on to be an international hit recognized by many people who were born after that bygone era of MTV (at it's finest, with Ray Cokes as VJ!) and artists pushing a message rather than a product. I think the signature guitar riff throughout the song is kick-ass, because it's simple and catchy. Enjoy it here.

Which brings us to "...one of my kind"; which is sung in their song called "Need You Tonight"; also a great and memorable opening guitar riff. 

RIP, Michael Hutchence - the Jim Morrison of my time.



Sources: 

1 comment:

  1. I picked up on it. Paused ... googled it ... here I am!

    ReplyDelete